Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ham and white bean soup

I was leery that a recipe with so few ingredients could be any good. Well, my friends, if you have the right 5 ingredients, this is magical. And the crock pot does all the work. This is also a great soup for a crowd. Grandma Joyce was coming for dinner, and little did I know this is one of her favorite soups. When I heard that I got nervous given this was a new recipe, but she gave it her seal of approval. The ham I used was leftover from Thanksgiving. I chopped up a little more than a cup of ham and then put the remaining ham still on the bone in the crock pot. I then put in a package of DRY northern white beans, some diced onion, 2 tsp onion powder, 6 cups of water, and a little sprinkle of brown sugar. Stir it up, set it on low in the crock pot and 8 hours later.. voila! Note for the beans... I rinsed them in a strainer first but didn't soak them. And we ate it with cornbread. Fabulous.

*** Stacie... even Rob will like this soup, if he likes ham. It's a hearty one:)

1 comment:

  1. It sounds yummy! I will have to give it a try, thanks for the disclaimer :)
    I am sure the ham bone gives it extra flavor, but I don't have one....do you think it will taste as good if I just use ham?

    ReplyDelete