Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Touching moments of motherhood

Most days I feel like a broken record. Constantly doing and saying the same things to make it through the day. But especially since Pete left, I have made every effort be more present with my kids and with myself for that matter. I am a multi-tasker by nature, but when you are so busy "doing", you are often missing precious moments that are heartwarming and rewarding.

Here they are singing...
On Monday, Wee Sing sang at a nursing home. Parker always looks forward to singing for the "grandmas and grandpas." While the residents really enjoy the music, more than anything, they love the kids greeting them afterwards. I was so impressed with Parker. He's naturally social and well spoken, but this moment went beyond...

He went up to residents with a smile and reached out to take their hand. Then he would shake it and say, "My name is Parker. What's your name? Nice to meet you Martha." No joke. It was so natural for him and completely unprompted by me. I was astonished. Other kids were noticing and trying to copy is example. The residents had tears in their eyes as this four year old said their name. And so did I. You can't underestimate the power of giving your child opportunities to serve and communicate at a young age. I love that our chorus does that for children. I am so thankful to Denise for the great work she does with those wiggly young ones. They love singing with her and will miss her when she moves.

Here's a video of Parker greeting folks, though it's hard to hear.

And some more singing...



1 comment:

  1. Austin is so cute following Parker around and greeting everyone! They are both so polite and darling, I love it!

    ReplyDelete