Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The details

Now that my blog is private, I feel much more comfortable talking about life without Pete. The last few weeks/months have been amazing. Since he was offered a position with the Navy on December 23, his whole aura changed. Yes there were some busy times at work, but there was a light at the end of the tunnel. He could get through those days knowing that his days there were numbered. We are very thankful he had this opportunity at the law firm. It was great exposure to the legal world, financially it was very beneficial, and we just feel thankful he had a job at all coming out of law school. He wouldn't have changed the path he chose, despite being ready for this change:)

So the last little while, he's been keeping regular hours and was able to be much more present, doing things like preschool drop-off, regular family home evenings, weekend outings, etc... Our trip to Utah was made possible because he was about to leave his job. It's been amazing. We got spoiled having him around!

I've been vague so far on social media for privacy reasons, but as dear friends and family, I know I can trust you with the rundown of what's really going on and what is going to happen. Bottom line: we'll be apart for about 6 months, with a visit or two in the middle of that time.

Pete left last Saturday, the day before Mother's Day, at 6:30am to head to Rhode Island, where he'll be doing ODS (Officer Development School). This training is 5 weeks, and it's kind of like a less intense bootcamp for people who are already officers. There is also OCS (Officer Candidate School) for people already in the military who want to become officers. That is much more intense because their promotion to Officer rank is not guaranteed. So while he will still get yelled at and messed with a bit, it's nothing in comparison to the other guys!

The boys opted to say goodbye to him the night before he left and Denise was kind to come over at 5:00am and sit at our house while the boys slept, so I could take Pete to the airport. I would definitely recommend saying goodbye at that hour, because your emotions aren't quite alert yet because you're just tired. So I hugged him and shed a brief tear, but then recovered. The night before however was a different story. Seeing him say goodbye to the boys, who have limited understanding about exactly how long daddy is going to be gone... that was tough. And then of course I'm selfish and just want my best friend here with me. Of course I'm nervous to parent alone, and know that it will be challenging and exhausting... but mostly I just love having him around. After 7 years of marriage, I not only love him, I really like him and enjoy his company in day to day life. I will seriously miss his companionship.

Anyway, leading up to the "goodbye" he had some other goodbyes to do. Wednesday night we went to Denise's and had a fun dinner with his family. Wings n Things and patriotic decor. It was very sweet how they went all out for him. Then Friday night we did dinner with my family. We also took some family pics and candids.


 Wrestling with Daddy. Their all-time favorite thing to do. They will surely miss this, because THAT is not happening with me in his absence.








 It took me a few days to even look at these pics. I can't look at them with a dry eye.



 Austin is literally the smiliest kid, but it is SO hard to get him to smile in pictures.




Reading with Daddy. One of their other favorite things to do.



 Austin hugging daddy goodbye. Seriously breaks my heart.
 If you want to help kids to deal with potential sadness, buy them something. haha. Just kidding, kind of. Pete picked out Buzz and Woody toys for the boys to open on Saturday morning after he left, so they could think of him. Those characters have not been left alone, so I would say that was the perfect idea.





So he'll be in Rhode Island for ODS for 5 weeks. Then they fly him to Norfolk, VA on Father's Day weekend. He will begin work that Monday. At some point in the next few weeks we will hopefully be able to get him home for a weekend, or go out to visit. We are so thankful to have friends that live in nearby Virginia Beach, and they happen to have an extra room Pete can live in while he gets to know the area and then from there we can narrow our housing search. Then he leaves again on August 4 to go back to Rhode Island for NJS (Naval Justice School). That's where he'll actually learn how to be a JAG. That is 10 weeks. Then I think he'll fly back to SD to help us move and we'll go out there with him in mid-October. Phew...

We are doing good at home so far. It's only been a few days, and many people have to deal with their husbands being absent due to work travel for a certain length of time. So I'm currently like everyone else. I can get through the day to day and just need to keep busy and take it step by step. If I think about the whole duration I get worked up. No need for that. Everyone is being so kind, and I must say that military separations are a real ego boost. Everyone is telling me what a supermom I am and how amazing I am. Hahaha. They are totally giving me the benefit of the doubt that I'm not whining, complaining, yelling, or not cooking dinner:) It's funny, but I really do appreciate their kindness offering to take my boys, cook me dinner, hang out... all these things will keep me going and I am so abundantly blessed. Anchors away...

4 comments:

  1. Aw thanks for explaining everything. Ah when you said you couldn't look at those pictures it made me tear up for you when i looked at them! you'll have to let me know if we can visit pete or go support him at any ceremonies! of course he is welcome to visit us any time too, but i'm guess that would be for the later training, not during this one :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, thank you for sharing. You are so brave. I think that would be so hard. I will pray that time will go by fast for you and that the boys will take good care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally teared up reading this! You are amazing, and I truly admire you and your strength! You are such a great wife and mom...your boys are lucky to have you! I am sure you will be plenty busy. Can't wait to see you next week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jess! My heart goes out to you right now. I got a little emotional reading this post because I can't imagine all that you are going through. I would miss my best friend too if he were gone. I'm really glad your families are close by and helping out. Best of luck to you over these next few weeks. You are a wonderful mom, with and without help!

    ReplyDelete