Sunday, April 7, 2013

Nice weekend...

It was a great weekend. Pete was actually home for a change and we soaked up every moment with him. We loved eating meals together, going on bike rides, wrestling, watching Conference, singing, and watching Michigan win their basketball game! Go blue! Can't wait for the game tomorrow night. 

Since it we didn't have church, I decided to give potty training a try. I was so scared, given Parker has given me no indication that he's ready to be in underwear. First of all, he doesn't really listen to me. I can be calling his name or asking him to do something and I completely tunes me out. How on earth could I expect him to respond when I ask him to go potty? And he has absolutely no problem wearing diapers. He doesn't care his friends all wear underwear and he's in diapers. He doesn't seem to mind the feeling of being wet (or poopy for that matter). Some kids reach a point where they become more self-conscious, but not my boy. He can literally poop while he's still running. 

TMI yet? Anyway, on Thursday we went to Target and I let him pick out undies. He chose Jake and the Neverland Pirates, and some pixar character ones. He also chose a bubble gun that he was going to earn after filling up a sticker chart after using the potty so many times. He was excited. So after naptime on Friday, we put the undies on and it was go time. It took about an hour of drinking and trying to potty every 10 minutes or so for him to finally go. It was thrilling! He was so proud and so was I. Over the course of the afternoon, I continued setting the timer but he actually only went when he told him he had to go. While he may be on the older end to be trained, there is something to say for him being more mature and in control of his body at this age. Over the last three days, he hasn't had ANY wet accidents in his underwear. We're still trying to figure out #2, but he's still wearing diapers during sleep times, and I try and get him to do it then. Any tips for #2? He just doesn't have enough warning to make it to the potty. For some reason it's very different than his warning for just going potty. But here is my proud boy... so thrilled by his progress. Tomorrow is the first day we leave the house for a while. Preschool will be his first test. Wish him luck. 
 The boys were so happy with daddy around. Austin is literally giddy when he sees him.
 Ryan had a volleyball tournament in Dallas, which my parents were able to attend, so we were repping SDSU back here. Word on the street is that Ryan was AMAZING! Go Aztecs!
 Austin loves pushing things around on the tile.
 Austin was not so happy to be left behind after the boys left on a bike ride. Sad:) Everytime a car would drive by his would go back and look out the door and say, "Who's that?" That's his new phrase he says all the time! It's precious. Mama, dad, uh oh, woof woof, and Who's that? are his only words.

6 comments:

  1. So impressed with Parker's potty training! It sounds a lot less traumatic when they are too young! I'm going to follow your pattern I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just mastered this with Benjamin. Each kid is different of course but it seriously took Benjamin 2 weeks for him to even try to go poop on the potty. And of course he did it one day when Paul was home with him and not me! I was pretty mad because I was the one who had done all the work over the past weeks! TMI but we would have him pee sitting down and ask him to try to make a fart. To him that made sense and it worked eventually. Now he knows when its about to come and tells us but its seriously SO fast once he actually tells us. Good luck though! Benjamin still wears diapers at night and nap and when we travel long distance via car or airplane we do pull ups! Good luck! He will do great and before you know it he will be out of diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say "mastered" sarcastically by the way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad it's been a success. As far as #2 goes...Liam was always able to give us some indication he had to go...his face would get red and he'd start breathing heavy. I will say this (okay...it's going to sound horrible but just let me finish) we told Liam that if he pooped in his underwear, we would give him a cold shower. Sounds way harsh...(I had so many people tell me they did this because they were so sick of cleaning poop out of underwear and I always thought it wounded way harsh.) But I tried it anyway....Liam was so worried about a cold shower that he would hold it until his face was red and his breathing got heavy...(that was our sign that it was time.) Then we'd put him on the potty and he would push it out. Eventually he got used to knowing when he had to go and he would tell us he had to do stinkies. We never had to do a cold shower. (Thank goodness...but it was just the right motivation) We got a stool and a seat that goes on the potty and Liam just goes in and goes all by himself now. The only time he needs help is pulling up his pants and wiping. It's so nice. That's why I'm a big fan of waiting until they're older. Liam can tell us very articulately when he needs to go and go in and do it all by himself. He still sleeps in a pull-up and has a pull-up during naps too. Also when we go on long drives and when we go to church. Liam's always very good to check with us if he can go in his pull-up or if we need to find a potty. If he's in a pull-up, he usually goes in the diaper when we tell him he can....however...this weekend we made a long drive into the big city and Liam said he had to go. There are NO gas stations, restaurants, or rest stops on this section of the drive. The next bathroom was 45 minutes away. I told Liam to go in his diaper but he said he couldn't. We asked if he wanted us to pull over and go on the grass (thinking he'd say no, and just go in his diaper) but instead he said yes. He totally peed on the side of the road:) Anyway, I guess my point is...he'll figure it out. Liam had NO interest in potty training either but we kind of forced the issue and he was ready. Sorry this is so long. Anyway, I hope this helps. Hopefully you don't think I'm a terrible mother for the shower thing...again...we never had to use it and I'm not even sure if I would have been able to go through with it but it was the right motivation for Liam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We so proud of you for wearing the "big boy" underwear, Parker. Such a good boy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess, I did not type those typos after the G' on G'Daddy's name!!!

    ReplyDelete