Sunday, October 5, 2014

Sunday thought

I didn't want to skip a Sunday, but also wanted to give due reflection to the messages that were shared during General Conference this weekend. So I will say this... I went into this final weekend in San Diego feeling sad and discouraged and longing for peace for the changes that are about to come. I love that this weekend of spiritual renewal offers not only powerful talks and words of wisdom for our general knowledge, but also I know that we can be touched by the Spirit to have our own prayers heard and our own answers revealed. I loved President Uchtdorf's talk on Saturday about learning to hear the Lord's voice. We can't expect to suddenly feel His presence and receive answers when we have not previously sought a connection with Him. That being said, He doesn't expect us to be at a certain level of connection, understanding, worthiness, etc... before He offers us the atonement and His loving care. "The process of gathering spiritual light is a quest of a lifetime" (Uchtdorf). Ultimately, I feel like the Lord was communicating with me that being troubled by a single event in one's lifetime, holds us back on our quest. As much as I love looking back on past memories with fondness, I should also allow myself to be excited and hopeful for the journey to come. Just because we don't know what lies ahead in the days to come, it doesn't mean they aren't going to be just as strengthening, beautiful, special, and important as the days we've just enjoyed. It's not that I won't allow myself to mourn this change, but I can commit myself to doing what I need to do to make the most of this new adventure. And someday I'll look back on this season of life at the fond memories we had.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you found some comfort in his talk. I always loved him.

    ReplyDelete