Tuesday, August 26, 2014

More funnies...

Austin has learned his ability to exert his power and opinion through raising his voice lately. He often yells back at me, enunciating every syllable. "I WILL NOT GO TO BED!" "I AM NOT TI-ERD!" He also likes to show he's mad by saying he wants to punch whatever it is he's mad about. If I ask if he wants some water: "NO! I'm going to punch the water!" If Austin is going to nursery at church: "I'm going to punch nursery... I'm going to punch the snack." He even says it about stuff that's typically a good thing in his book, for example he has said he wants to punch: Disneyland, clouds, swimming, naptime, dinner, and baseball. And he says it with the most ridiculously cute pouty face with puffed out cheeks. Hilarious.

Austin also loves the ASL ice bucket challenge videos. Now he thinks any video on Facebook will involve the person getting water poured on their head. We were watching a sweet baby cooing and then he asked, "Now they pour water on her head?"

Parker is very smart and likes to know how things work. When I prompted him to brush his teeth so he won't get cavities, he asked, "Do the cavities happen right away, or does the sugar stay on your teeth and make holes along the way?"

Parker has also taken to lying. I was a bit of a liar/exaggerator as a child, so I know he's mine. I once told my second grade class that my leprachaun trap had a laser on it, but my dad didn't want me turning it on because it could hurt someone. My brother was talking about going to China and Parker said, "Oh I've been to China..." And he proceeds to tell about what he saw there. He also made up a story to my mom, but told her not to tell me because I wouldn't be happy about what had happened (really he didn't want me to know because I would refute that the incident happened).

Parker and I have been sleeping together while staying at my mom's house. The room is pretty removed  so he makes sure I lay down with him til he's asleep at night. I really like the wind down time with him, because regardless of what happened during the day and no matter how many times he said he hated me, at night he tells me I'm the best mom. He tells me his whole heart loves me. He tells me he prayed that God would give him the best mom ever and he got me (that is a spinoff of how I tell him that I prayed God would give me a baby and he gave me Parker). And then the best is that he scratches my back. He also wakes up in a very good mood, so it's win-win. Even though I do have to endure various position changes during the night and grinding of teeth.

We were at In n Out the other day, when I saw a man walk in who had very theatrical makeup on. He looked like a park ranger kind of guy so the makeup didn't fit. But it was very obvious. I began to worry that the boys would notice and say something. Well, just that morning we had been talking about giving compliments and finding the good thing about someone else. Then I saw Parker studying the man. And before I could do anything, Parker told the man, "Hi. I really like that bear on your shirt." And then Austin echoed the compliment. That struck up a few minute conversation and I was so relieved that the most obvious thing of all was never pointed out.

That same day, a man was ordering at the counter and he had a pronounced bald spot on the back of his head. Parker saw that and asked, "Mom, look at his head. Do you think that really hurts?"

In case you were wondering, Parker wants to be a police officer someday because he likes throwing people in jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment