Sunday, December 9, 2012

Music class

We had a magical day last Friday. A few days prior, my old dance teacher and friend emailed me to ask if I wanted to bring the boys to a music class at her studio. I was excited to see her and of course said yes. At the last minute, my mom decided to come along too. 

Oh my gosh, I show up and it was a mini reunion. First of all, my beloved voice teacher of MANY years was the one teaching the class. Kara was my vocal idol growing up (in the striped shirt). And I had never met her kids, and she'd never met mine. Her son is standing beside her, and she's holding someone else's baby. 
 In addition, some other families I grew up doing theater and dancing with were there too. Tammy and her daughter Amy. My dance teacher is on the floor in the black, holding her baby daughter.
 Sarah and I grew up in theater and singing together. We both have sons a few months apart. She lives on the east coast and was here for a visit.
 Sarah's mom Angie, in the middle, was good friends with my mom, and they also worked together taking school pictures. Tammy, on the end, sewed all the costumes growing up. Amazing! My mom would have been devastated had she not come.
 The music class itself was unbelievable. Parker was so into it and Kara was a magnificent teacher. The philosophy of the class she teaches is that music starts at birth, so even Austin was bobbing around and engaging with the activities. Between the singing, movement, and instruments, it was awesome! At the end, the closing lullabye has us lay down beside our child. As I watched Parker laying there still, my eyes welled up with tears. He is NEVER still and here he is being so obedient and laying beside me smiling. It was precious.
 Baby Alexander, Kara, Sarah, Kara's daughter Selah, Austin, and me.
 Parker loved the huge dance studio room to run around in.
The preschool group we offer through Kids Sing is awesome too, but it more suitable for children ages 3-5. So given Parker's age and activity level, this suited him very well and I look forward to continuing with it in January. He'll do Kids Sing starting next fall. I do believe a child can never have too much music in their life. I can't believe it... the wonderful teacher who taught me to sing is now guiding my son in his first music experience. It was a full circle day. I'll never forget it.

1 comment:

  1. Aw that is so sweet hearing about how he laid next to you!

    ReplyDelete