Monday, December 31, 2012

A new year

As fun and exciting as this past year has been, I am really looking forward to 2013. I really want this to be a year of growth for my family and me. As my boys are growing and changing everyday, I too want to be intentional about ways I can become stronger and better. My main focus is going to be on developing more patience. Parker is in a challenging phase right now. I find myself getting frustrated with him very quickly as he repeats the same unwanted behavior, throws tantrums, or basically ignores me when he is wanting to follow his own desires. While I realize this is a very normal stage for the age, it doesn't make getting through it any easier. I hope this year I can find ways to communicate with him properly and support him in making good choices. But even when he doesn't make the choices I wish he would, I hope to develop better coping mechanisms myself to not jump to becoming angry. I'm not pleasant to be around when I let myself get worked up. I don't want to be like that.

A tangible goal I want to develop this year is to improve my photography skills. I want to use my DSLR camera and various lenses more and capture more candid moments with my boys. I was reading a blog today that really inspired me to capture the memories that could fade with time... but when they are captured on camera, they can last forever. I want that for my family.

Setting too many "goals" can set you up for failure, so while I have other things I want to accomplish, these will be my main two focuses that I will report back on periodically. It's going to be a good year... and I wish you the same.


1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog Jessica! Partly because we are experiencing a.lot of the same things at the same time and partly because of how honest you are about things. It makes me feel more normal. I too have been constantly striving for more patience with Kaylee. It is such a fun age, but what a challenging age as well! I never knew that my temper could be so short until recently! I feel I am doing better, but only due to a LOT of prayer and trying harder to stop and think before I act/speak. Anyway, thank you again for your honesty.

    ReplyDelete