Thursday, February 5, 2015

Settling in

I feel like we've finally reached the point where we are calling Virginia home. It's taken a while and a lot of effort to make new friends and figure out the community, but we are almost there. I am so thankful to have some ladies around me that I can now call on in a moment of need or for a playdate. I also have a group I watch the Bachelor with, so that's really saying something! I'm thankful for all the wonderful families we've been able to meet through the military, as we have dinners every other Sunday night for JAGs and other military members. The boys are solidifying their relationships with friends. Austin goes to nursery at church eagerly, and feels a bond with both the workers and the kids there. Parker has a few classmates he has really clicked with a new friend in another class who we've been playing with. It's been quite cold here and we're really looking forward to warmer days that will lead us outside, but in the meantime, the boys have been playing so well together at home and I've been able to keep up with my application job. The boys are at such great ages and Austin is marginally less grumpy on a daily basis, so that helps things. I love how they play imaginatively together and how patient Parker is with his often-impatient little brother. We have a good thing going.

Some funny things...

Austin said, "Mama, I'm so glad you make red smoothies and dad makes brown smoothies." (fruit smoothie vs protein shake).

Parker said, "Mom, come wipe my bum." Me: "Wipe your own bum. You are old enough." P: "Uggghhh. Wiping your bum is the worst!" Me: "No... wiping SOMEONE ELSE's bum is the WORST! We are all in charge of our own bums!" (Man, the things that you never expect to come out of your mouth!)

Austin says every time we go pick Parker up at school, "Next year this is going to be MY school!" Can't believe Parker will be in Kindergarten next year. At least it's only half-day here. I'm going to miss him (and his ability to entertain Austin).

Parker's entire birthday invite list includes friends from San Diego. Had to break it to him that plane tickets were not in the party budget!


2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are settling in! I wish i had a group to watch the bachelor with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you're all adjusting to life in VA. We still miss you!

    ReplyDelete