Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Books

"Bossypants" by Tina Fey- Funny book. She's very smart and funny. I like how she never shied away from a job because she was a woman and was never afraid to be herself. I love hearing how nervous she was to interview for jobs in those early days. We all have to start somewhere. My favorite story was when her daughter brought home a book from the library about a little girl who hated how her mom worked outside the home and her character was a witch. Tina was feeling discouraged that her daughter felt so sad that her mom worked. But when she finally asked her about it her daughter just said, "I thought it was a book about Halloween." Sometimes we are just too hard on ourselves.

"Hands-free Life"- This was a great book about being more present with your children and in your life. I love the idea. What I didn't love was that she told LOTS of stories of her own children and used exact quotes from them, but none of them sounded like they were coming from children. First of all, there is no way she remember the exact quotes from each and every event she recalls. Second of all, she wrote such eloquent responses coming from her daughters, it just seemed unrealistic. And then after every time she'd recall such a tender moment, she said how her eyes welled up with tears and she couldn't help crying. We're talking on EVERY OTHER PAGE. It got old. But still, a good concept.

"The Five Love Languages of Children"- I read this for the podcast and did a Book Club episode on it. It really got me thinking about my kids and how I communicate love to them. It's hard to know what your child's love language is until they are about 5, but for Parker I was able to determine that his is Acts of Service and Quality Time. He desperately wants you to pay attention to him and spend time with him. When I do that, he has fewer tantrums and a better attitude. It's also important to know because when I am not filling his love tank in this way and it is running low, it has the opposite affect and leaves him feeling alone and questioning your bond. Check out the podcast episode on Feb 2nd if you want more info on this book.

"In this Together" by Ann Romney- Wow She's an amazing lady. This book covers her diagnosis with MS and her heroic journey in confronting the disease (of which there is no cure) and finding a way to continue living. I can't believe she managed two presidential campaigns with her condition, and I love how mindful her whole family was of her needs during that time. And she has all sons... so she's my hero:) A great read. Man I wish she was our first lady.

I'm half way to my goal. 10/20 book completed. I have a few coming up that I am really excited about reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment