Sunday, September 28, 2014

Spiritual Sunday

I have been thinking a lot about the support system that surrounds me. Part of what makes me apprehensive to move, is that it's hard to make new friends. Even here where I already had a lot of connections, it took about 6 months to really make some new good friends. It's so easy for kids, as they introduce themselves without self-conciousness and assume everyone could be a new playmate. I wish it were that easy for adults. I am really hopeful because we are moving to an area with lots of young families, and that that will help in the quest for new friends.

But as I approach the time to leave some of my very dearest friends, I have become so sentimental and appreciative for what they offer in my life. I was listening to a podcast the other day about how important it is to surround yourself with good people. Not just people who are good, but people who are running the same race you are. When you keep company with people that are awesome, that think you are awesome, and that share the same goals in life, you can live very peacefully. The worst is when you are around people you compare yourself to and leave you feeling less than. Or when it's all about them. The best friendships are when you know you are genuinely there for each other. When you would do something for the other person without recognition or compensation. And I have some of those friends right now, and I recognize what a gift they are.

Here's a beautiful quote from a past leader of the women's organization in our church:

"We cannot always lift the burden of one who is troubled, but we can lift her so she can bear it well."

Good friends make you inspired to be a better friend. Good friends would do anything for each other, without thinking twice. As a means of recording my life at this moment, I just want to make note of two really important people in my life at this moment. 

Kate... I feel like Parker's 2 year old preschool year was a gift from God not only because he loved it and it gave me a little break, but because I met Kate. Sadie's mom Kate and I became fast friends when our kids bonded. We would sit on the playground most days after school and chat as our kids played. We would share our challenges in parenting, weekend plans, and happy events. We would share our hearts and ask questions and listen to one another. Kate is the most beautiful person inside and out. When I first met her, I was struck by her outer beauty (she's the stretched out beauty I always dreamed of being:)), but within minutes of meeting her I was impressed by her friendliness and kindness. She also loved Austin (she recently had a baby boy, but cuddled up to Austin when we went to visit and said, "You're still my first love."). She constantly invited us to things, brought extra snacks for the kids, and texted me encouraging or funny messages throughout the week. Having her around made me think twice about the kind of friend I was, and made me more intentional in the rest of my friendships. Kate and I are not best friends and don't see each other every day, but I feel like her friendship in my life has changed me for good. She makes me feel valued. Our preschool days of seeing each other a couple times a week are over, and it breaks my heart. I feel like she has no idea the impact she's made on me. But I thank the Lord for bringing us together. Maybe we'll be in-laws someday:) 

Stephanie... This lady has her act together! I saw her for many months at church before really talking to her, but I was always so impressed by how beautiful and put together her family was. Then we started chatting occasionally and I noticed she was great at asking questions. She could talk to anyone about anything because she knew how to ask questions. I feel like I'm terrible at that, so that was inspiring to me. Then we worked together in the Primary and our friendship grew. I loved her passion for motherhood, even though she was always truthful and open about her own challenges. I loved her willingness to host events at her home (I love hosting, but have never had a space that could accommodate many people). She makes everything beautiful. She helped me learn how to curl my hair, after I complimented hers. She just makes you feel good. She walks in a room and the whole place lights up. She is so positive and complimentary. Instead of feeling like you wish you had her life, you leave feeling blessed she's your friend and encouraged to implement some of her ideas. (Teddy Roosevelt said, "Comparison is the thief of joy.") When Pete went away in May, she and I still weren't THAT close, but she texted me right away offering to have us for dinner. My boys play very well with her kids and they looked forward to the play date while I looked forward to the adult conversation. She had us over many times during the past five months. She also hosted Pete's b'day dinner. She watched my kids on occasion so I could just have some alone time. She is one of the busiest people I know, but she never seemed too busy to include me in her life. She's taught me a lot about making people feel important through asking questions and rendering service. I am in denial that we won't live 10 minutes apart anymore, but I am so thankful for the opportunity to have cultivated this deep friendship that I know will stand the test of time and distance. 

And I leave you with this. "Be Still My Soul." I am overcome with emotion at the thought of all that I have and what I am leaving behind in a few weeks. But I know my future is bright. I know there are friends to be had in Virginia. And I know all things work together for good, even in the midst of challenges. Be still my soul. 





2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post, Jess. I'm glad you had these two dear friends in your life... and you always will. You'll go to Virginia with a part of them, and all they inspired in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful post and sounds like you have such amazing friends, which makes sense because you are that friend to so many others. I'll be praying for you during your move and am excited to have you closer. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete