Saturday, April 26, 2014

Anchors Away...

Ready for me to drop a bombshell? I mean it. Big changes ahead for the Dahlquist family....

Did you know Pete almost enlisted in the military right out of high school? It's true. He has always felt a certain patriotic duty to serve his country. But when they didn't guarantee that he could have two years off to serve a church mission, he decided those desires would have to wait. So then he went to college and law school, and while serving in the military was always in the back of his mind, life had other plans and he ended up getting a great job that brought us back to San Diego. Perfect. End of story... right? This past year and a half has been such a blessing working at a great firm, building connections, and learning about the legal field. He wouldn't trade this time for anything. However, it's not a job he saw himself at forever. He knew he wanted to gain more hands-on experience, and to feel good about the issues he was dealing with. And he still felt the strong desire to serve his country.

So last summer after much discussion and prayer, I finally gave him the go-ahead to apply to the Air Force and the Navy to be a JAG (Judge Advocate General... aka Attorney for the military). It's a very competitive selection process, and to be honest, I thought it was a long shot:) It's not that I doubt Pete in the least. He's awesome and smart and capable... but it's just competitive. Anyway, we were shocked to get an offer from the Air Force in October. Then doubly shocked to get an offer from the Navy in December. There are pros and cons of both branches, but ultimately felt like the Navy was the best option. It's the only option that gave us a shot at being stationed in San Diego, the bases are in pretty good locations (give or take a few), and the uniforms. Pete is a "gear guy." He can't wait to look like Tom Cruise in "A Few Good Men."


So we accepted the offer for Pete to become a Navy JAG. Sincerely, it was a hard thing for me to come to terms with. I knew this choice would mean a big change for our family. I knew we would potentially have to be stationed somewhere other than San Diego. I knew it would mean a big change in salary. I knew it would mean getting to know new lingo and becoming part of a military community, one I really knew nothing about. I knew it meant separation for trainings and potential deployments. It's scary, and I tend to avoid change. But I also knew it would mean much better working hours for Pete, much more family time, less stress, and more meaningful work for Pete. He is over the moon excited about this job, though he tries to conceal it as he knows I am having a hard time dealing. We just found out we will be stationed in Norfolk, Virginia for three years. We have a four year commitment in total. I know this change will bring good things and challenging things, but I'm excited for the adventure. I also realize our decision is impacting family who we love so much and see often right now. I feel helpless and guilty about having to move away. But I guess this is life. You have to accept that change is bound to happen, and all we can do is adapt to it and find joy in the journey, because even when hard things happen, there is still joy to be found.

Here is Pete being commissioned...

LTJG Dahlquist and Captain Padfield (Pete's rank is Lieutenant Junior Grade).



 Making it official.

We appreciate all the support we've received and look forward to the adventure ahead. 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, babe! I am so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this post. What a huge change for your family. Congratulations again to Pete. What an accomplishment. It is so fun to see him so excited! And I can only kinda imagine how torn you must feel. You are amazing and I look up to you so much. The military has hit the jackpot with you guys! And I'm super excited this means I'll see you more!!! Can't wait to hear all the details. I figured I'd wait to call you after the weekend since that's family time. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This totally caught me by surprise, but I'm really excited for your new journey! I'm sure you are going through a whirlwind of feelings right now. You are going to have lots of new adventures and things to blog about now :) Good luck! Can't wait to hear all of the details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's some news! Exciting adventures ahead. Congratulations and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are seriously SO EXCITED about this! Norfolk is a short hop from us and there are great amusement parks where I'm sure we''ll spend lots of time. Norfolk is a great old town and I'm a little jealous you'll have the opportunity to live right on the Chesapeake Bay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to Pete. This is very exciting. What an exciting adventure! I can only imagine what an emotional journey this is and I know how difficult it will be to leave your families behind. I will hope that one day you can make it back to San Diego. Good luck in your new adventure and congratulations again. I look forward to following your new adventures. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete