Monday, June 3, 2013

Sad day and sideways pics

 If you've had the sideways picture issue on blogger, will you please tell me how to fix it? They are sent from my phone, but the pictures show up oriented correctly when the load, then they go into the post sideways... mmmmm.... perplexing.

Anyway, I drove up to LA this morning for the funeral of my friend's baby. I posted a link to their blog a few posts ago. Mathis was only 9 months old and passed away from Spinal Muscular Atrophy. He had a wonderful family who loved him and supported him until the end. Even though I haven't seen Dujuan and Jackie in five years, we've had some contact off and on through the blog, and ever since I heard about Mathis' diagnosis, I have been riveted by their journey. It's so inspiring. They had his funeral in St. George on Saturday, then came to bury him at a cemetery in LA, where they are from. I was glad to get to attend. Thanks to Denise and my mom for tending to Parker, while I took Austin with me. He was such an angel baby. He cooed and sang and slept and ate. He never cried, even when the traffic made me want to.

The cemetery was beautiful and Mathis was buried in the baby section. In Jackie's words, "That's where all the perfect people are. What better place to be." It was wonderful to hug them and tell them how much we loved them and have been praying for them. Mathis' older brothers were so darling, but it is clear they miss their brother. Jackie wanted to make today a celebration of his life, so we were directed to wear bright colors. They brought balloons which we released and sent to heaven. Jackie's grandfather read the eulogy which Dujuan wrote. So touching. His name means "miracle" and given that it was first a miracle that he was even born and then that he was able to touch so many in such a short time... how appropriate.
 It was a very sweet time. Holding my precious healthy baby made me so appreciative of all I have. It was a little hard to hear the speakers, since we were in the back, but whenever it would get extra quiet during a prayer, Austin could sense the change and fold his arms without being prompted.
 Another neat thing was getting to reunite with another sweet Provo friend. Emily was pregnant with her first little boy the last time I saw her... now that baby is almost five! How darling are her kids?
 And I could not get this proportioned correctly, but this is my sweet baby resting peacefully on our long drive. I'm so glad I could attend and pray for their continued peace and strength as they adjust to their new normal.

6 comments:

  1. great post.

    If you put the pics into windows photo viewer or whatever you use, can you turn them (and then save them turned). It works on my computer but if you have apple it may be different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got to go. I can't stop thinking about them. What a beautiful life Mathis had and what a brilliant job Jackie did sharing it with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great that you could be there to support them. It really has been inspirational to hear their story and watch them go through this. What a strong family. It really makes you grateful, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pics never show up sideways for me! Glad you were able to be there for the funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From my iPad your photos are not sideways. Thanks for sharing this journey about your friends family. I have read a lot of their blog as well. For sure helps me put my small "problems" into perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blog about last Monday is so touching. You are such a loving person. I'm so glad you are in our lives!!

    ReplyDelete